Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Jack Arends--Rest In Peace

Jack Arends received national attention when he showed up in a wheelchair as a Washington elector last year at the meeting of the Electoral College and cast his ballot for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris.  He know that he would not be around much longer.
 I knew Jack only in passing when we were both involved with the Washington State Democrats, but through Facebook, I was able to follow his struggles with the disease that ultimately cost him his life.
Jack was at WSU at the same time that I was and worked at the school paper, the Daily Evergreen. He was friends with my fellow dorm member, Pete.  
Jack was a lover of  WSU Cougar sports and often shared his opinions on the Die Hard Cougs page.  
Last Sunday, looking at what I thought was another update, I learned that Jack Arends had passed away.  Although it had been expected for a long time, it was still overwhelmingly sad.  

3 comments:

Kennedy How said...

Nice. He had a lot of friends.

Pete Molenaar said...

Thank you, Mike. That was a nice tribute.
Jack and his “play nice” approach to politics and life will be missed.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this, Mike. What an excellent fellow he was. My sincere condolences to all friends and family.