Thursday, February 18, 2021

If You Think 13 Is An Unlucky Number--It Is For Washington Criminals

 

As I grew up in Walla Walla, I knew the Washington State Penitentiary, which to many, is the only thing they can think about when hearing of the town, was on 13th Street.   What I didn't know at all, is the address is 1313 N. 13th.   Not until I saw a post in the Facebook group You Know You Grew Up In Walla Walla When??
Of course, many consider 13 to be an unlucky number and to have it repeated 3 times in the address of such an infamous institution is impossible to resist.  
Walla Walla has only a handful of numbered streets, all running North and South. 
Speaking of "repeats", how many towns have one word repeated twice?

3 comments:

pnwlyra said...

Hah, what a great anecdote. I could only think of Bella Bella in British Columbia and Bora Bora in Polynesia, but it turns out there's an actual list for these things out there! I won't post it as I do not wish to spoil anything, but it's easily Googled and resides on Wikipedia, for the curious.

Mike Barer said...

Then, of course, there is New York, New York.

Anonymous said...

1313 Mockingbird Lane.