Monday, January 02, 2006

So Long Lan Roberts!

What can I say about Lan Roberts? Well first I probably need to tell you who he is! I stumbled on to Lan's web sight when I got my first computer. I was surfing the net looking for stories about my cousin Burl's radio career, when I discovered his site. Finding it entertaining, I e-mailed him and introduced myself and over the next 5 years we discussed (all through e-mail) everything from politics to entertainment.
Lan was one of the premier djs on KOL and KJR in the late 60s and 70s and like most of them (or maybe all of them) he had been a heavy smoker. About 10 years ago, he was diagnosed with Lung Cancer and somehow with surgery and chemo was able to beat it. A couple of years ago it returned. Lan was able to quit smoking and pleaded to his readers to not start or to quit.
Lan Roberts passed away last Friday January 3oth. Ironically his last editorial was titled "Wrapping It Up" Posted by Picasa
above: Lan is on the left with also recently departed friend Jerry Kaye.

No comments: