Saturday, August 20, 2022

Goodbye Jim Angell

I was very shocked and saddened to read about the passing of Walla Walla High School classmate Jim Angell.    Jimmy was a newspaper guy, he wrote a rock music column in the Wa-Hi Journal and eventually became the editor of the paper.  
We both went to WSU and as I remember, were in Communications 101 together.  Jim would continue his reporter career with the Daily Evergreen, the WSU daily paper.  He would also become the editor of that paper.  
I did not have a car during my first year at school, so I would ride back and forth in his car, having discussions about topics of the day.  I did not remember if I helped him with gas expenses or thanked him properly.  
Angell would wind up working in journalism in Wyoming.  The video above was one I found as I scoured You Tube.  
Jim Angell was talented, articulate, friendly, generous, and humble.  I last saw him at our Class's 40th reunion in July of 2016, where we joined other friends in the golf scramble. 
Jim is seated the second to the left.  We were the only fivesome and the last to finish.  We celebrated in the clubhouse.
Later in the evening, he would join friends Bill and John jamming on guitar at the reunion dinner.

Jimmy was wonderful and will truly be missed.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a great video of Jimmy and a great tribute to him. Thank you Mike.

Anonymous said...

thank you Mike, that was well done

Kathy Shoemaker said...

Mike, this is a wonderful tribute to Jim. Thank you for including the video. Jim lived a life well lived.