Thursday, June 10, 2021

So Long To Jim Baum


 I was shocked and saddened to hear of the death of Jim Baum.  Jim was a home and building inspector working primarily in South King County.
I met Jim through the 5th LD Democrats where he became the chair in 2011.  He was a hard worker, who encouraged fellow members to work as hard.   One of  his crowning achievements, which I think anyone would give him plenty of credit, was the election of Mark Mullet to the state senate from the 5th LD, the first Democrat to represent that district in 20 years. Baum was also very active in the campaigns for John Urquhart for Sheriff and Matt Larson's campaign for state house.  He also campaigned for several judges. He also worked behind the scenes to help get me prepared for the 2016 Democratic Caucuses. 

Jim and I, along with other 5th members occasionally met for beer and trivia at Mark Mullet's Zeeks Pizza, in the Issaquah Highlands.   We once drove to Olympia to have lunch with Senator Mullet. 

We were both centrist Democrats, often at odds with the progressive wing, we exchanged political ideas often through texts. 

Jim Baum will be missed. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a huge loss. Jim was a huge help in my three campaigns, a political mentor, and a wonderful friend. I will miss him immensely.