Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Review--Ken Jennings Hosting Jeopardy


 Ken Jennings has begun his stint as host of the game show Jeopardy for a 6 weeks.  My reaction after watching two episodes almost mirrors a USA Today article

At first, Jennings voice is at least to me, a put off as I had been accustomed to the late Alex Trebek's smooth deep tones.   Once I get used to it, which was the case in both yesterday and Monday's show, everything goes smooth enough for the game to roll.  Jennings, by watching and participating in the program, seems to have adopted both Trebek's intonation and inflection.  

Jennings started his second show mentioning that Trebek had told him that the host is not the star, and I paraphrase, but the contestants are.

Social media reaction to Jennings as host is pretty much split down the middle.

Jennings is considered the Greatest Of All Time after a couple of extremely successful runs on the program as contestant.  

Jennings has Seattle ties. 


4 comments:

Geoffrey said...

I’ll be interested in seeing how Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packer quarterback, does as a temporary host. I expect he’ll do just fine but find difficult imagining him in that position. .

pnwlyra said...

We've yet to see Ken at work, so I'm thankful for your review! I'll have to sit Derek down soon and have a watch. :)

Anonymous said...

If a deep voice is a prerequisite to host Jeopardy, that disqualifies most women...and effeminate men. The point is, don't judge people as unworthy to the extent that they're not a clone of Alex Trebek. Ken Jennings is obviously the most qualified person to be the new host of Jeopardy based on experience and knowledge. He's also extremely likable for someone who knows everything, and obviously has a good sense of humor. Give him a chance. It takes most TV hosts a while before they are accepted.

Mike Barer said...

I cannot disagree with you on any of those points. I was just giving my impression. I do have a deep voice, though. ;-)