Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Peter Jackson--Son Of Washington Icon

In my childhood, my parents, who were very active in politics, would get a card around Christmas time from Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson.  It would show his family, including children Anna Marie and Peter.
Peter grew up and like his father, carved a career in politics, not as a candidate, but as an editorial page editor  for the Everett Herald and the online publication, Crosscut.
He had also been a speech writer for Washington governors Gary Locke and Christine Gregoire.
I didn't meet Peter in person, but we became acquainted on Facebook.  I shared my memories of political history with him, including his Dad's speech on the 4th Of July in Walla Walla.  Scoop Jackson had just dropped out of the 1976 presidential race.
We both attended the memorial service for my Cousin Stan's wife Alta, but I was not aware of his presence.  He had left early because he was not feeling well.
In 2016, Jackson revealed that he had pancreatic cancer.  He died last Saturday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this great tribute.