Sunday, March 29, 2020

Former Teacher Jim Tomlin--Montana's First Covid-19 Death

I had Jim Tomlin for a teacher each year that I was at Walla Walla High School.  He was my biology teacher as a sophomore.  In addition, I was took my first semester of Earth Science from him as a Junior and 2nd semester as a senior.
Mr Tomlin, I would probably call him "Jim" today, was an outstanding teacher, it wouldn't be a stretch to say he was my favorite.  He had a lively style  that made everything interesting.  He would discuss things off topic.  He took students on field trips and camp outs, probably spending much of his own money.
I remember a lot of what I learned from his classes.  I remember him having a beard, quite unusual for a teacher at the time, although he would shave it off in the winters since he, I believe, said he officiated interscholastic wrestling matches.
Tomlin had retired to his dream home in Montana when he became the state's first and I believe, so far, only Covid 19 death.   He  was 77.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Wonderful teachers make such a difference in our lives. I wish I had Mr. Tomlin as a teacher. I enjoy reading your blogs.