Sunday, April 07, 2019

Washington Democrats Approve Presidential Primary

Washington State will now have a presidential primary that matters as the State  Democratic Central Committee has voted to allow a primary for allocating delegates.  The vote was 121-46 according to the Cascade Advocate, the blog of the NPI think tank.   
Having myself chaired 3 of the most contentious presidential precinct caucuses, I feel that this is a good move, allowing professionals to count the votes.  I am forever grateful to the volunteers that helped me put on the caucus in Maple Valley, I could never have done it without them.  It's just the work to set up locations and conduct caucuses is harrowing. 
Growing up, in Eastern Washington near the Oregon border, I had a chance to see what a primary could do.  The Oregon Primary brought presidential candidate to remote parts of the state.  
My point being that having a primary in the early stages of the campaign will bring major candidates and more media attention to our state.  


No comments: