Sunday, February 09, 2014

Fifty Years Ago--The Beatles Appear On Ed Sullivan

To celebrate The Beatles appearance on Ed Sullivan, you should understand the times.  It was 1964 and the world was in kind of a funk.  President Kennedy had been shot and killed a couple of months before and the youthful president who represented the future was replaced by Lyndon B. Johnson, a somewhat unpopular former senator. 
The Beatles wore what looked like suits and had hair cuts that no one had seen before.  As I remember it (I was only 6), we would gather to watch Ed Sullivan every Sunday night.  I recall being confused by the haircuts and all, beat it didn't take long for me to be a full fledged Beatles fan.  The earliest songs I remember are "Can't Buy Me Love", "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "Can't Buy Me Love".  Soon there was a Beatles cartoon that ran on Saturdays.  It would feature 2 cartoons which featured a Beatles song and a singalong between them,   The Beatles did not provide the voices for the characters.  I also got to see "A Hard Days Night", the first Beatles movie at the Liberty Theatre.  I also bought Beatles bubblegum cards around that time at the grocery store at 3rd and Yakima in Walla Walla.

No comments: