Monday, August 26, 2019

Old Walla Walla Radio Remembered Part 33--K-HIT's Arch LeRoux In Studio

The face may not be familiar to everyone who grew up in Walla Walla, but his voice probably was.  Arch LeRoux (La Roo) was the founder and owner of K-HIT, a radio station that broadcast from the Denney Building from sunrise to sunset.  It played what was known as easy listening music, and as long as I can remember, was automated.   
Leroux with a distinct voice would do a newscast at the top of the hour and headlines at the half hour. LeRoux was also known for his tennis playing prowess.   The station was sold to an out of town ownership group in the mid-70s.
This picture appeared on the Joe Drazen's Bygone Walla Walla page, courtesy of Jean Savage, whose father Bill Lilley was the long time photographer for the Walla Walla Union-Bulletin. 

3 comments:

Jaynie Jones said...

My brother Daniel Marvin Todorovich, who used the radio name Dan Tory, worked for Arch at K-HIT in the early '60s.

Anonymous said...

Great post Mike. This post will bring back memories of the importance of radio in our lives back then.People like Arch did a great community service in providing this great radio channel for the valley.

CougGeoff said...

I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at KHIT from 1974 to 1980. I do wish I would’ve had the opportunity to meet Arch at some point. I owe a lot to KHIT, the new managers who bought the station - Carl and Steve - when I worked there, and indirectly Arch Leroux for paving the way to start my career right out of college. Bravo to them.