Monday, June 15, 2015

My Crossfire Pal

Working retail in Bellevue, I've met some pretty well known people.  In the late 1990s, Michael Kinsley took a job of editor at Slate, an online magazine launched by Microsoft.  Kinsley was known as the liberal voice on CNN's Crossfire.  He would debate either Robert Novak or Pat Buchanan, both hardcore conservatives. 
During his tenure at Slate, Kinsley began to rent a mailbox at The UPS Store I was working.  He was a real nice guy, never a prima donna.  He would often ask about what was going on in my life.  While he was totally Liberal on TV, when I talked politics with him and said something Liberal, he would play "devil's advocate" , probably wanting me to take a balanced approached at looking at issues.  When the holidays approached, he gave both me and my father-in-law (the owner) bottles of wine.
Of course, that was a very important time in his life.  It was then that he became engaged to Patty Stonecipher, a leader of the Gates Foundation.  He also revealed that he was suffering from Parkinson's Disease.

No comments: