Sunday, September 17, 2006

Part II: Pullman Experience

Jeff L was a man of means. He brought in an 8 Track quad stereo player that I was welcome to use to my heart's content. A refrigerator, A TV and decorated the room. Of course, being from a wealthy family meant his tastes where sophisticated, right? Wrong--the art he put on the wall was not Monet--it was not Renoir. It was a set of posters like the one that said "Think Metric", it featured a lovely grown woman in a bikini next to a young girl in a bikini and had their measurements in the metic system. The young girl was 36-24-36 and the grown woman was something like 119-79-119, you get the idea. There was another rather crude one he put up.
Jeff was a nice guy, but we did not become friends, he had a much bigger agenda. I became friends right away with Tom, a few doors down. He was a sophomore from Shelton (another town with a State Pennetentiary) and was into Bob Dylan heavy just like I was. I was 19 at the time and Tom had a car. He showed me the bars in Moscow, Idaho, another college town 8 miles away. Idaho at the time had a drinking age of 19 so I could go to the bars there, like many 19 and 20 year old going to either WSU or U Of I could.
One of the popular places in Moscow was The Spruce. It was a seedy place where I ordered my first pitcher of beer ($1.75) at the time. Every once in a while there would be a fight there and you would hear glasses breaking. Fortunately, I was not involved in any fights at that establishment. The other option was Rathskellars. It was out from town a little ways and featured live music and dancing. When Idaho raised it's drinking age to 21, Moscow must have taken a real hit because there really was no reason for WSU students to travel over to drink there. End part II

4 comments:

Mike Barer said...

I sure do remember the Dispensary. That was when you turned the other direction. The was also the "Moscow Mining Co.", The Varsity and some other fun spots. I remember the Idaho State liquer store where I was enamored with the cherry vodka.
I stuck with the 2 biggest places because I wanted to keep on message and get the point across. You where obviously there too and we may have rubbed elbows somewhere. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts!

jake247 said...

Tom was my roomate ... do you remember my cat Stealy Dan? You're the one who gave me the idea ... fun times.

Mike Barer said...

When Black Friday comes.....

Jeani Rey said...

My roommates and friends were regulars at the Dispensary. We got to know John, the owner and the band Raven who played there regularly. My best friend married their lead singer in 1979. My husband and I met there and are still together, moving back to Pullman last year. It appears the building that the Dispensary was in has been torn down and a Nom Nom gas station is on that lot now.