Sunday, November 06, 2005

West Wing's Live Debate

Generally shows try gimics when their runs are nearing an end and I think that the West Wing is no exception. I had not watched it in years but my father-in-law is a faithful watcher and while having dinner overthere, I felt myself drawn in.
The concept was a live debate with a real journalist Forest Sawyer, actually done twice so it would be live in each time zone. At the start of the debate, the Republican candidate played (believe it or not) by Alan Alda proposed that the scrap the rules and have a real debate to which the Democratic Candidate (played by Jimmy Smits) reluctantly agrees. What happens is you get 2 candidates articulating ideas in a way not seen in a real debate. My eyes could not leave the screen.
Alda was polished and direct, Smits was passionate. This is one time where I wish life could imitate art.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What is going on here? There are people dieing in France and your front page topic is a TV show?

Mike Barer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mike Barer said...

I do find the Alda character apealing. Just not the Bush character.