Thursday, March 09, 2023

Remembering Lance Henderson

 

The above picture was sent to me by Lance Henderson
 Lance was a Walla Walla guy who was a hard core Conservative.  He was a rising star in the Republican party and in the 1980s, he created the Blue Mountain Review, a paper espousing Conservative viewpoints.  He would go on to become executive director of the Washington State Republican Party for a while.   Lance's father, Jim, was a Walla Walla City Councilman.

Lance and I became friends on Facebook although we had not met one another in person.  We consistently had back and Forths on various issues.  At the time, I was on the state Democratic Committee. We were truly political opposites. 

Lance and I did talk by telephone once.  When my cousin Stan Barer died, he sent me a post on a well known political blog about him. 

A little over a year ago, I went on Facebook to find that Lance had passed away suddenly.  He was a few years younger than me, but had  what we now call a "cardiac episode" while walking in downtown Walla Walla and could not get help in time.  

His passing made me respect how we formed an amazing friendship over our opposite world views without compromising our principles. .

No comments: