Friday, January 06, 2023

The '83 Wave Spectacular Remembered On 40th Anniversary


I have wonderful memories of this event.  The '83 Wave Spectacular (which was actually in December of '82) at the Seattle Center.  At the time I worked at KYYX, which had just switched from a safe top 40 mellow rock format to a cutting-edge New Wave music, the previous summer.  
As an employee of the station, I got in for free.  I don't remember how many days that I attended, but I do remember seeing bands like Missing Persons, The Greg Kihn Band, and Oingo Boingo. 
Being from Walla Walla, I had at the time, seen very few rock concerts. The idea of being in a room with famous people was a wild concept. 
From a business standpoint, this event, from what I heard, was not a money maker.  The admission price was perhaps a little high for fans of the genre, many whom decried the commercialization of their passion. 
Seattle area historian Feliks Banel did this great report on the 40th anniversary of what I figured was a forgotten event. 

No comments: