Monday, May 24, 2021

Former Walla Wallan Breaks Journalism Gender Barrier


 The Walla Walla Union-Bulletin reports that Sally Streff Buzbee  has been named executive editor of the Washington Post.    Buzbee will be the first woman to serve in that position in the 143 year history of the paper.  

Buzbee had previously been executive editor for the Associated Press.  The Washington Post was purchased in 2013 by Jeff Bezos.

Buzbee, a widow,  lived in Walla Walla with her family until 1977.  Her sister, Pam was a classmate of mine at Walla Walla High School. 

6 comments:

Jim Angell said...

Mike: Fantastic news! I know she'll do a great job.
When I growing up in the log cabin just north of the city limits, Pam and Linda lived in the neighborhood just south of my home, so we played together quite a bit.
Imagine my surprise when, some 30-plus years later, while phoning in an Associated Press story to my bosses in New York, I got Linda on the line. She did a great job with my story. But here we were, separated by less than a mile as kids, now working a country apart for the same company.
Thanks for this informative blog. I don't comment much, but I do follow as best I can. Loads of fun.
Cheers
Jim Angell

Mike Barer said...

Thank you, Jim! I think this is real exciting as well as an historic milestone. Hope all is well with you!

Mike Barer said...

It was Sally I erroneously reported this as Linda.

Jim Angell said...

Yeah, but I trust you so much I just rolled with it. I'll just blame you, not my poor memory.

Mike Barer said...

It just shows how much cred one can lose with one slip.

Mike Barer said...

Would you believe that I only played golf twice since we played at Memorial? I've been practicing and upgrading my equiptment. I hope to start playing frequently now and maybe actually play better.