Sunday, April 19, 2020

Puget Sound Media Blog Talks About O'Day Family Involvement.

While much has been written about Pat O'Day on Seattle media blogs, very little is written about the involvement of his family in many of his ventures.  When I worked at KYYX, Pat's sons Garry and Jeff were integral in the operation of the station.  Garry as producer and Jeff with commercial production.  Pat's wife was involved with radio sales.
In a post by Steven L. Smith in the Puget Sound Media blog, there is an audio clip of an ongoing bit that Pat did with son, Garry in the mid 1960s.  Garry was 7 or so at the time and would call in as Garry Finster, a smart aleck, problem child. Pat would quiz Garry on his day and they would come up with hilarious stuff.  
Smith's article also covers Garry bringing Monkee Micky Dolenz to his Jr High School to pose and meet with students. The picture above shows Micky with Garry to his right. Also, Pat's oldest son, Jerry took another Monkee, Davy Jones to Newport High.
To see the article and listen to the craziness, click here.

3 comments:

fettwalp said...

Somewhere in my garage, I still have a cassette or two of stuff I recorded off KYYX, including Pat O'Day's announcement that the station would be switching formats. Loved that station, which peaked when I was about 11-13.

Anonymous said...

Fett....if you find that please share with Puget Sound Media. Mike...as a kid Pat's son Jerry was pretty involved too...especially with the hydro races. I have a pic of him on the KJR crew boat with Pat and Murphy.....Steven Smith
PSM

Mike Barer said...

At the time that I had my gig, as I recall, Jerry was in Hawaii working at KORL, Pat's radio station in Honolulu.