Saturday, June 15, 2019

Meeting Washington Icon

At Alta Barer's memorial, there was a man that I could not wait to meet.  Dan Evans was governor of Washington from 1964 to 1976, basically, from when I was in 1st grade almost through my freshman year at WSU.  
He is a Republican and I'm a Democrat. I always wanted to see him defeated.  After 3 terms, he declined to run for a 4th term.
He would later serve a US Senator, replacing the iconic Scoop Jackson after his sudden passing.
Time passes and I now consider Evans one of our state's greatest public servants.  By meeting him, I later realize that I have met or seen in person, every person who has served as Washington governor during my 62 year lifetime.   I thought for a while that I had met every US Senator from Washington that served during my life, but later remembered that I had not met the late Brock Adams, who served one term.  Adams, ironically, was once law partners with my cousin, Stan Barer.

No comments: