Thursday, March 22, 2018

Heroes From My Childhood--Kiki Cutter

I did not ski when I was  during my childhood, but it was fun to watch on Wide World Of Sports.  Wide World was on Saturday afternoons.  It would show many different sports in many different areas in one show.  One skier I remember well was Kiki Cutter, first was her unique name, the other was that she was from Bend, Oregon.  I grew up in Walla Walla,  practically on the State line.  Even though it is in Washington, it is easy to root for Oregon teams and sports figures in general.  
Cutter was also one of the best in her sport, in 1968, she became the first American to win a World Cup Event.  Also in 1968, she competed in 3 events in the Winter Olympics in Grenoble 
Cutter would eventually turn pro and then retire.  She would later set up a scholarship to encourage young World Cup competitors and helped publish a lifestyle magazine in her home town of Bend.
This year, I thought about her while watching the Winter Olympics on TV.   I eventually did start skiing for fun.

No comments: