Thursday, November 21, 2013

50th Anniversary--The Kennedy Assassination


The first president that I can remember was John F. Kennedy, he was young, vibrant, and represented a look to the future.  I have very fuzzy memories of some of his speeches. 
I also remember the dark day when he was shot.  I was real little, we lived on Leonard Street in Walla Walla.  My mom said the president had been shot.  When I got to school I remember kids saying "the President has been shot, I think he's dead"  I remember the TV stations showing round the clock coverage and the general dark mood of the nation.  Then a couple of days later, the man who was accused of shooting the President was also shot.  My parents told me not to celebrate, because it was a case of someone taking the law into his own hands.  I remember Jackie Kennedy being a symbol of beauty and fashion, which she remained being after the president's death. 
Three other assassination attempts on presidents, thank God, have been unsuccessful.  Gerald Ford was the target of two, both by women.  Ronald Reagan was actually hit and somehow survived. 
President Kennedy's brother Bobby was assassinated in his attempt to be elected president.
Bobby was attempting to continue, what seemed to be an unfinished chapter in American history.  As more information would come out about the Kennedys, America love affair waned a little, especially those who opposed them politically. Ted Kennedy made an attempt, but was never able to shake the image of Chappaquiddick.   Instead he made his mark as an effective U.S. Senator. The president's Caroline Kennedy is now Ambassador to Japan.  John F, Jr was killed in a plane crash in 1999.

No comments: