Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Mitchell Report--My Thoughts

I looked through the Mitchell Report and really found very little in the way of surprises. I had not thought of Roger Clemens, I have never been a fan of Clemens and even less of a fan when he threw the barrel of a broken bat at Mike Piazza. I think if we condemn the players, we need to also condemn the trainers, the managers and even the players not mentioned who may even have been non-users for their silence.
I was happy to see who was missing from the report, Edgar Martinez, who is one person that I had the chance to work with, who I look up to as one of the class acts of sports. No mention at all of John Olerud, Dan Wilson or Jay Buhner.
I think much of this problem lies at the hands of Baseball going years with just an acting commissioner. Bud Selig was an almost invisible "acting" commissioner for years. I think that there no longer is ruling law in baseball.
In 1989, Commissioner Bart Giamatti suspended Baseball Icon Pete Rose, the weight of the move may have cost Giamatti his life as he died 8 days later from a heart attack. The point is that players implicated need to be dealt with.

No comments: