Thursday, September 27, 2007

Wikipedia: A Good Reference But Beware


I have been called into question for using the Wikipedia as a reference. The Wiki is basically open to anyone who has a computer. We all know that is a recipe for disaster but the Wiki seems to work. Because anyone can contribute, it has a localized flavor. That is people write about things that are important to them. I was surprised at how much Seattle and Washington state information is contained there. I would imagine that is because people in the area contribute many articles. I do not know anyone who has written or edited the wiki except for myself. I have contributed 4 articles that have since been updated and edited. I make a good effort to use footnotes and site my sources. One example is the Baker-Boyer Bank (pictured above) from Walla Walla.
I have also a number of family members that are listed.

No comments: