Friday, July 21, 2017

Old Walla Walla Radio Remembered Part 18--Mariner Crew Gets Sack Of Onions

KTEL carried the Seattle Mariners games in the their early days.  They also carried the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Super Sonics as well as Wa-Hi sports and occasionally, maybe WWCC sports.  When I worked at the station in the late 70s, Bevan Roth was the salesman and engineer. 
Bevan had been there since the 50s and he was a huge sports fan.  He would get his name (and the station's name) on the Mariner network by bringing a bag of Walla Walla sweet onions (known as Walla Walla Sweets) to the team  broadcasting crew(at that time, Dave Niehaus and Ken Wilson) when attending a game in Seattle. 
I think that he continued to do that after he left the station. 
In 1980, I worked for KNOI in Pullman and they also carried Mariner Baseball, Roth, at that time, worked for KEXI, a Milton-Freewater Oregon station.  Once again, I heard that Roth had brought the Mariner crew a bag of Walla Walla Sweets.
Many years later, I got to meet Dave Niehaus at the Fred Hutchinson Luncheon.  I asked Dave if he remembered Bevan Roth.  He sure did.

No comments: