Tuesday, March 09, 2010

California Governor Edmond G "Pat" Brown

An old friend of mine posted on facebook that former California Governor Edmond G "Jerry" Brown was running for Governor of California again (after being out of the top state office for 30 years). His words were something like "Brown is going to clean up the mess that Governor Schwarzenegger had made" Putting Governor Brown and a mess in one phrase, reminds me of an incident that my Dad told about a meeting with the first Governor Brown, Jerry's Dad. You can read the account on his blog by clicking here or read on:

Well, Mike reminded me of an incident involving Jerry's dad, Governor Pat Brown and Mike's mother.Those were the days of our deep involvement in politics. We went to meetings and conventions and marched in rallies. It was an interesting time I being involved in the Democratic party and most of my customers and friends being committed Republicans.I think it was a fund raiser for Hubert Humphrey in Seattle. We were tromping through the Olympic Hotel sampling the food and drink in the various reception rooms. Deciding to move on we we approached the doorway. Coming toward us cocktail in hand was the California governor. He turned for a moment to comment to a member of his party and SLOSH iced, alcohol, and water down the front of Jeannie's party dress.Apologies and don't worries followed and I thought that was the end of it.A year later we attended Ann and Andy's wedding reception in Los Angeles. Only about 400 of their closest friend were there.Jeannie spotted Pat Brown across the room. She grabbed my hand saying I have to talk to him. As we approached she reminded him that she had been the victim in the spilled drink incident. I blanched but he took it in good spirits and we ended up having a conversation about the upcoming election that he eventually won while our Washington incumbent lost

No comments: