Friday, November 24, 2006

A Very Burl Thanksgiving

Burl's reminiscence of the old Thanksgivings from our childhood caught my eye. The Aunt And Uncle in Walla Walla that he talks about are my Grandparents.

Every year I miss even more the Thanksgiving get-togethers we used to have twenty years ago when my folks were in Palm Springs. My brother, sister, and all our kids would gather together either at my sister's place, or my mom's condo, and eat till we dropped -- then eat more of all those pies! The kids were sooo young -- and it was all just so enjoyable for me.
Mom is now 94, and most of the "kids" of her kids have families of thier own, or no longer all travel to the same place to eat the same food.
They miss the "old days" too. There is something about childhood memories that are the best. My childhood memories about Thanksgiving are of huge dinners at my Aunt and Uncle's house in Walla Walla. My most vivid "holiday" memories are of Passover in Spokane, Washington at my grandparents. After dinner, we would eventually wind up in the den where there would be "Chicago Rasslin" on my Grandpa's black and white TV.
Man Mountain Dean and Gorgeous George are as much a part of my Passover memories as the Four Questions.

No comments: