Monday, December 10, 2007

My Cousin Sam Barer Writes About his Grandfather

My Cousin Sam Barer has a blog with mostly car tips, but he changed the subject slightly today to honor his wonderful maternal Grandpa who was honored by the University Of Oregon
This weekend I had the honor of helping my grandfather, Leonard Donin, out to center court at Portland’s Rose Garden arena right before tip-off of the basketball game between University of Oregon and University of Utah. At 96 years old, Grandpa is the oldest living U of O varsity athlete, having lettered in basketball and baseball.
My grandfather was introduced over the public address system as the game’s honorary captain. The entire crowd (which included over thirty family members and friends) came to its feet. As he waved to the adoring crowd, I applauded the man who not only fathered my mother, but also was responsible for the little athletic ability I received.

No comments: