Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Old Walla Walla Radio Remembered Part 29--The Whitman Campus Station

This Walla Walla station is 48 years old, yet it's easy to ignore. Many people who have lived in Walla Walla for years, may not even know it's there.  
KWCW is Whitman College's campus radio station.  It is located in the Reid Campus Center. 
I found it because it played rock, which was hard to find in my Walla Walla school days.  It for the most part wasn't mainstream pop.  It was things  like obscure album cuts, obscure bands, acoustical music, 60s music.  It was the ultimate underground station. DJs played what they wanted.  
In 1978-79, I took a break from WSU.  I got  a job at KTEL and went to WWCC for a year.  The community college did not  have a radio station and KTEL played all country. 
I volunteered to work at KWCW, that way a could play rock for the city.  I did not go to Whitman, but they were happy to have someone fill the air shift. It also helped that I had a 3rd class radio license, which was needed at the time. 
If you live in Walla Walla, you can listen to KWCW, known on campus as K-Dub at 90.1.  


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Both my daughters, Sarah Thomsen (Whitman '87) and Beth Thomsen (Whitman '90) were D J's there.

Anonymous said...

Listening to KWCW on the Internet. The DJ is playing Top 40, Michael Jackson at the moment. It is rare that campus radio stations play mainstream music. Usually it is an eclectic mix of Aternate and Americana.