Sunday, January 07, 2018

Jerry Van Dyke Star Of My Mother The Car

Jerry Van Dyke, younger brother of beloved TV Icon Dick Van Dyke has died in Arkansas,  Van Dyke did star in the ill-fated sitcom "My Mother The Car".  Reportedly, Van Dyke turned down the role of Gilligan in the show "Gilligan's Island" which became a comedy classic.
Van Dyke received 4 consecutive Emmy nominations for playing the dim witted assisted coach in the early 90s hit "Coach". 
Van Dyke also guest starred in a number of 1960s comedy shows and had a bit part in The Dick Van Dyke show as Rob Petrie's brother. 
Van Dyke was 86.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked Jerry from the first time I saw him in My Mother The Car. I think he was funnier than his brother and it is unfortunate that he was not offered more roles. Turning down the Gilligan role was a smart move. He couldn't have pulled that one off as well as Bob Denver did. Denver had a similar role as Maynard Krebs in Dobie Gillis.