Saturday, December 23, 2017

Old Walla Walla Radio Remembered 20--K-Hit's Jay Smith

There is not much that I remember about Jay Smith, but I do remember him.  He was a  radio personality working for K-HIT in Walla Walla in the mid 1960s. This card was posted on the Walla Walla Facebook page by someone who listened to Jay in her childhood and I was able to get her permission to post it.
 As I remember, my Dad and Mom  were active in the Walla Walla Little Theatre and Smith was cast in the Little Theatre production of "Bells Are Ringing".  I think my Dad was working backstage on the production.  I remember my Dad taking me to the K-Hit Denny Building studios to visit with Jay and tour the studio.  I remember that he was a real nice guy and I really liked him. 
A few years later, I was saddened to find out that he had died.  These are all fuzzy memories because I was so young, but it's obvious that this man was a charmer and perhaps one of the reasons that I'm so interested in radio to this day.
Joe Drazan, who has the Bygone Walla Walla blog, came up with more on Smith.

1 comment:

Ida said...

This is your favorite Radio Station K-HIT Walla Walla, Washington 1320 on your dial! - I remember that station very well.

Wishing your family a wonderful holiday season.
Looking forward to blogging with you in 2018. - God Bless.