Saturday, March 19, 2016

Dad

My father Alan Barer passed away yesterday at 86.  This picture was taken at his winter home in Rancho Mirage.  My dad was diagnosed with cancer last summer and fought it valiantly.
He was a graduate of Walla Walla High School.  He received a degree from University Of  Washington where he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Mu Fraternity. 
He served in the US Army during the Korean Conflict.  After working in the Bay area,  he returned to Walla Walla and entered the family business B. Barer and Sons.  After his father's death in 1967, he partnered with his Uncle David Barer.  In 1985, he became sole owner of the firm.  He married my Mother, Jean Granek in 1956, I was the first of 4 children.  When my mother became ill, my Dad took care to make sure the family could carry on as well as run the business.  About this time, his Mom had become ill with Alzheimer's.  It became a real juggling act to keep everything on an even keel.  He did it with a smile and without complaint.
He was a community leader, active in Toastmasters, Kiwanis, Rotary, The Walla Walla Little Theatre and the Democratic Party.  He loved morning coffee in Walla Walla with other business leaders in town. He was a member of Congregation Beth Israel in Walla Walla. 
After my Mom's death, he retired and moved to Kirkland in 2000. B.Barer And Sons was sold to Oxarc.  He met and married Jean Austin.  They enjoyed world travel.  My Dad loved to share memories which he was able to do on his blog. He joined Herzl Ner Tamid in Mercer Island.
A service will be held this week in Walla Walla and there is talk of another memorial service in Seattle.  He leaves three sons, one stepson, one stepdaughter, grandchildren, one great grand daughter, and his wife, Jean Austin Barer.  His daughter passed away last year.

3 comments:

Ginger Dawn...A Spice Below The Horizon said...

My sincere condolences! Your father has an amazing legacy and it continues with you! Sorry for your loss Mike.

Mike Barer said...

I was so sorry to hear this news. I hope you are comforted in the wonderful memories you have of your dad. Now whenever I walk past the home you lived in I think of you.

Ida said...

You found the comment. I'm glad.