Monday, August 14, 2006

Wa Hi Class Reunion--The Rundown

Deb and I kicked off Reunion Weekend in style by checking in to the La Quinta, located in the center of town on second street. Things had changed since the 20th when we stayed at my parents house on Palouse. Friday night after we checked in we met up with my brother Steve, the only family member now still living there. Dinner was at the Mill Creek Brewhouse, a cozy hangout where the traditional mixer was to take place. Since this was my third reunion, I can tell you that there always is and always will be a mixer. It consists of a noisy room with all your old classmates, you see people you haven't seen in 10, 20 or in this case 30 years and exchange handshakes and warm hugs.
We had wine tasting Saturday afternoon, if you have not been to Walla Walla in the last couple of years, wine tasting is not hard, the city has turned into almost one gigantic winery. I had noticed that Saturday morning as I walked down to Starbucks. Yes, there is a Starbucks in Walla Walla. At this rate Waitsburg and College Place should both have one soon. Deb and I chose Bergevin-Lane (one of the newer wineries) and 7 Hills, which was run by a friend of my family. We were happy to taste and purchase a bottle from each.
Dinner and dancing was on tap for Saturday night. We started off with the traditional picture. Every year we take a picture and for some reason, I never see it again. I guess by the end of the evening there is so much going on that buying merchandise is not the order of the evening.
There was a lovely tribute table to the classmates lost along the way. Like always, I was saddened to find someone there who I did not realize had died. Along with bad news, there where some good news also. Some of my classmates where looking and doing better than they had in years. It probably may not be appropriate to mention names here, but you get the idea. Many people who had not aged much in the first 20 years did look much older this time around so I can't help but wonder if it may be my turn at the 40th.
The weekend was topped off with a picnic on the Wa Hi campus, Mr Neher, our principal joined us and another picture was taken. This picture will look much different as we were in our summer clothes. The make up and jewelry where off. I may post some pictures in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned. Posted by Picasa

No comments: