Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Goodbye Uncle Arny


 My Uncle Arny passed away Monday (January 2nd, 2023), he was an attorney in Seattle for decades before recently retiring. 

He was my Dad's brother, graduating from Walla Walla High School in 1953, moving to Seattle to go to the University of Washington, where he would get his law degree.  One of his school pals was Wes Uhlman who would go on to become the mayor of Seattle.  

Uncle Arny would come to Walla Walla as I was growing up and was very engaging. He drove a red convertible and to me, represented the big city.  He met a Portland school teacher, Carol and married her in 1967.  They would have two sons and 4 granddaughters. 

Uncle Arny and I shared a love of progressive politics, and family history. He was an avid contributor to the "Barer Family Group" on Facebook.  Like my dad, he had a love of classic cars. A hobby that he also shared with his son, Sam.  He loved gatherings of family and friends.

Uncle Arny and Aunt Carol were always there for me as I moved to Seattle.  When Deb and I started dating nearly 30 years ago, I introduced her to them at the Newport Cafe in Kirkland.  

Uncle Arny and I would talk about once a month, and he would always tell me what a wonderful wife that I had.  You can see the obit in the Seattle Times by clicking here.

No comments: