Tuesday, February 11, 2020

UB Does Story On Synagogue Vandalism

The Walla Walla Union-Bulletin reported recently on the breakage of windows at Congregation Beth Israel in December.  After my brother posted something on Facebook, I immediately reported it on this blog, linking to the go fund me page which now has exceeded it's goal by a wide margin. 
Growing up Jewish in Walla Walla, this temple holds a special place in my heart.  In the 1960s, the services were held in a converted house on Rose Street and there was no signage, nor was there a listing in the telephone book.  I did not think of it at the time, but maybe it was because of perceived anti-Semitism in the area.   
I was proud when the congregation moved to it's present location in the early 1970s, at Alder and Roosevelt, with signage and a Star of David.   I believe that it now has a listed phone number.
Whether this is random or indeed a hate crime remains to be seen.  It is uplifting, though to read of the diverse group contributing to it's repairs.  



No comments: