Friday, July 17, 2009

Former Walla Walla Radio Voices Silent






In my research for the stories on Walla Walla radio stations KHIT and KUJ, I learned of the passing of 2 very notable players on the scene.

Verne Russell was owner of KUJ and the Walla Walla Padres until he sold both entities to Jim and Patricia Nelly in mid 70s. He died last month at 81.

Andy Harle had passed away in 2003, although I had learned of it until a couple of days ago. As a salesman/radio personality at KUJ in the 1970s, he helped to train me for a radio job by letting me come to the studio and showing me how to make an audition tape. It was a real learning experience for me and I appreciate it to this day. He later bought a Pendleton radio station and started K-Wheat, an FM country music station in the Walla Walla area. Andy was only 55 when he left us. Andy's picture is above.  Thank you to Dennis Deccio for providing the picture.

4 comments:

How Can I Help said...

I am Andy Harle's youngest daughter, Lindsay. It'll be eight years this week that he passed away. Your kind comments and wonderful memory shared is bringing tears to me. Thanks for the memory. He was in his radio station doing what he loved when he had his heart attack. Radio was his life's work.... LOVED it!

Mike Barer said...

Dear Lindsay
Thank you so much for your comments Andy was a wonderful man to work with and I was devastated to hear of his passing.
Thank you for taking the time to read!! Have a great day!

How Can I Help said...

Thanks Mike, I am having fun reading your blog... learning history that Dad would have shared with me. Thanks!

Dennis Deccio said...

Loved that Andy Harle. My BFF. What a voice. After his passing, I walked his two daughters Lindsay and Ali down the aisle along with Andy's twin Brother Tom. At each wedding there was an empty chair for Andy.